Tour update……

So now the final day of the tour with Norby and friends!  It had rained all night but now seemed to be just a slow drizzle. Having had such a quiet afternoon yesterday we needed to have an actioned packed morning to catch up on the various species we missed yesterday due to the wind and rain. The morning started well picking up both Violaceous and Purple-throated Euphonia in the Lodge garden. We set off down towards the wetlands just after 07.00 and soon came across a small mixed flock including Brazilian Tanager, Yellow-backed Tanager, Blue Dacnis and Flame-crested Tanager. We then used playback for Long-billed Wren which showed well, the Southern Antpipit came in again for those that had missed it yesterday, this was followed by good views of Greyish Mourner during which time a Tataupa Tinamou crossed the path further ahead of us. We had now made our way to the lowland forest and started some playback for Shrike-like Cotinga, within a few minutes Laurel spotted it flying in above us, after several minutes the whole group had good views of this wonderful endemic, this was followed by Scaled Antbird, Rufous-capped Motmot, Black-throated Trogon and Tufted Antshrike. We carried on along the path and hit another small mixed flock feeding around an ant swarm, species included Black-goggled Tanager, Plain-winged Woodcreeper, Streaked Xenops, Silvery-flanked Antwren and an Ochre-bellied Flycatcher. I played some Eye-ringed Tody-Tyrant and after a few minutes one appeared close by, amazing how this bird had crept in without making a sound!

The afternoon went well and we started by heading down to the trees around the office to see a couple of Tropical Screech Owls, we then headed off around the wetlands and picked up several new species including Black-crowned Night-Heron, Snowy Egret, Rufous-sided Crake, Blackish Rail, Limpkin, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, White-winged Becard and Moustached Wren.

As we were rained off from owling the previous night we went to try again, we used some playback for Tawny-browed Owl and Black-banded Owl but with no response at all, we spent around 40 minutes in the area before deciding to head back, we all climbed aboard the pick-up truck and started heading off back down the dirt track, all of a sudden there was lots of banging on the roof, we stopped and amazingly Coren had spotted a Mottled Owl sitting in a tree above the track!

What a great way to finish the tour! Trip report coming soon!

Mottled Owl (©Andy Foster)